Applicants should provide the following information:
- A cover letter stating your interest, availability and general qualifications
- A resume or CV outlining your education, skills and experience
- List of 3 references
Please submit your complete application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following subject line: “your name – Civic Engagement Organizer”
Job Purpose: Power U Center is seeking a highly motivated organizer to help build a local base of community supporters for our campaigns to advance restorative and reproductive justice in Miami-Dade schools and communities. The purpose of this position is to help develop, implement, and integrate civic engagement programs in organizational campaigns in order to develop the organization’s capacity to build independent black political power in Miami-Dade County.
Ideal applicants should have previous experience with canvassing and civic engagement projects, and committed to the values of racial, economic, and gender justice (see the Power U Principles of Unity on our website). They should also be familiar with the principles of reproductive justice.
About Power U Center For Social Change: Power U Center for Social Change is a grassroots organization based in Miami, FL. We envision a society free from all forms of oppression in which decisions are made democratically and resources are utilized for the collective benefit of everyone. Toward that vision, our mission is to organize and develop the leadership of Black and Latino youth and Black women in South Florida so that they may help lead the struggle to liberate all oppressed people. Our current programming focuses on educational justice, fighting state violence and criminalization, and advancing reproductive justice. As an alternative to coercive forms of punishment and control, we are working to win restorative and reproductive justice based policies both in our schools and our communities, while also fighting to increase the communities’ ability to decide how resources are allocated in Miami-Dade Public School’s budget.
Description of Duties:
- Coordinate and oversee community base building programs and voter organizing initiatives
- Execute canvass data operations which includes cutting turf, printing walk sheets
- Manage Nation builder and VAN (Voter Activation Network) databases
- Manage teams of paid and volunteer canvassers
- Work with other organizers to engage youth members in community base building activities
- Build relationships and coordinate programming with other organizations in South Florida that engage in civic engagement
- Represent Power U in Florida State Voices
- Participate in staff political education and other staff development activities
- Must work with other staff to plan community events that bring in and retain current and potential members
- Building relationships with school administrators, Teachers, Parents, and Students in the Miami Dade Public School District
- Staying abreast on current events, policy decisions, and results to electoral races that affect campaign strategy
- Facilitate meeting and workshops that Inform Staff and Members on the goals and objectives of canvassing projects
- Helps develops clear outreach goals that support broader Power U campaigns around safe and supportive school
Reports To: Executive Director and Lead Organizer
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Experience in Canvassing, and related civic engagement outreach efforts
- Excellent outreach and networking skills;
- Excellent planning and project management skills;
- Experience working with an online database;
- Comfortable working with students and youth;
- Ability to identify and develop leadership among youth and other community members;
- Basic Computer skills;
- Strong Commitment to social justice;
- Willing to participate in political education processes and further develop personal political analysis
- Self-Motivated, can work independentlyWillingness and ability to travel Have access to dependable transportation.
- A commitment to becoming familiar state and local politics in Florida
- Flexibility with regards to scheduling work hours in order to accommodate community members schedules.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish or Haitian Kreyol a plus
Salary is based on Qualifications and Experience
People of color, LGBTQ+, women and young people are encouraged to apply