Interested applicants should provide the following:
- A cover letter stating your interest, availability and general qualifications
- A resume or CV outlining your education, skills and experience
Please submit your complete application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line please put: your name – Executive Director.
Power U Center for Social Change has an exciting opportunity for a person committed to developing youth leadership and building Black power. This is an excellent position for an experienced director looking for a change or someone with lead organizing experience who is ready to take the next step professionally.
People of color, women, and young people are encouraged to apply.
We envision a society free from all forms of oppression in which decisions are made democratically and resources are utilized for the collective benefit of everyone.
We are organizing and developing the leadership of Black and Brown youth and Black women in South Florida so that they may help lead the struggle to liberate all oppressed people.
Our primary policy goal is to win Restorative Justice in our schools. As an alternative to coercive forms of punishment and control, restorative justice builds stronger school communities and makes them more supportive learning environments for our young people.
We approach our work using a Reproductive Justice framework. One of the core principles of Reproductive Justice is that we have the right to raise our families in safe and secure environments that are free from violence. This includes freedom from gender violence, such as harassment and sexual assault, as well as state violence, such as policing and incarceration.
Through this combined commitment to restorative justice and reproductive justice, we work to ensure that all of our youth have the chance to lead happy and fulfilling lives.
Reports to: Board of Directors
Supervises: Organizers and Operations & Development Coordinator
- Facilitate planning and implementation of program strategy
- Develop program/campaign targets and goals
- Coordinate documentation and monitoring of progress towards goals
- Ensure programs/campaigns are on target in delivery of activities and results
- Coordinate internal and external evaluation processes
- Manage relationships with key external actors/stakeholders
- Participate in strategic regional, state, and national alliances/coalitions
- Supervise program/campaign staff including performance planning and review, activity planning, and coaching
- Ensure staff are building and developing membership/leadership
- Design and facilitate regular organizational retreats
- Identify and coordinate staff development opportunities
- Participate in Board of Directors meetings and prepare materials for the Board
- Maintain positive relationships with current and prospective funders
- Ensure that all foundation proposals and reports are thorough and submitted in a timely manner
- Provide support and coaching to Operations & Development (O&D) Coordinator to ensure the organization is carrying out effective grassroots fundraising strategies
Administration & Finance
- Work with the O&D Coordinator to:
- Manage finances and accounting with our fiscal sponsor
- Manage Power U facilities and assets
- Ensure inventory is maintained and spending effectively monitored
- Oversee procurement of office equipment and supplies
- Oversee procurement and management of necessary IT equipment, software, and services (i.e. email server, website, database etc.)
- Strong commitment to racial, economic, and gender justice;
- Commitment to building grassroots political power in Black communities;
- 5-10 years’ experience in grassroots organizing, social justice issues, human rights, or structural racism;
- Dedicated to the values of youth leadership, reproductive justice, and educational justice;
- Strong analytical skills, particularly in regards to socio-political, environmental, and economic contexts
- Strong communication, negotiation, and diplomacy skills;
- Strong networker;
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including motivation, coaching, strategic direction, conflict resolution;
- Willingness to work irregular hours and to travel;
- Strong writing and analytical skills;
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation systems;
- Experience working with students and youth a plus;
- Bi-lingual in Spanish or Haitian Kreyol a plus.