Applicants should provide the following information:
- A cover letter stating your interest, availability and general qualifications
- A resume or CV outlining your education, skills, and experience
- List of 3 references
Please submit your complete application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following subject line: “your name – Lead Organizer”
Job Purpose: Power U requires a talented and enthusiastic individual to lead the Power U’s organizing programming. This person would be responsible for implementing and overseeing the organization’s campaigns while supervising and assisting other organizers in the coordination of their day to day campaign related tasks.
Ideal candidates should have previous organizing experience and be comfortable working with youth and other community members and be committed to the values of racial, economic, and gender justice (see the Power U Principles of Unity on our website). They should also be familiar with the principles of reproductive justice.
Reports to: Power U Executive Director
Supervises: Organizers & Interns
About Power U Center For Social Change: Power U Center for Social Change is a grassroots organization based in Miami, FL. We envision a society free from all forms of oppression in which decisions are made democratically and resources are utilized for the collective benefit of everyone. Toward that vision, our mission is to organize and develop the leadership of Black and Latino youth and Black women in South Florida so that they may help lead the struggle to liberate all oppressed people. Our current programming focuses on educational justice, fighting state violence and criminalization, and advancing reproductive justice. As an alternative to coercive forms of punishment and control, we are working to win restorative and reproductive justice based policies both in our schools and our communities, while also fighting to increase the communities’ ability to decide how resources are allocated in Miami-Dade Public School’s budget.
Description of Duties:
- Co-facilitate planning and help lead implementation of campaign activities and plans
- Supervision of community organizers regarding base building goals and objectives
- Works with Executive Director to develop political education curriculum
- Supervise program/campaign staff including performance planning and review, activity planning and coaching
- Work with Executive Director to create materials, work plans and accountability systems for implementation of organizing plans.
- Represent Power U in key alliances, coalitions, and at strategic conferences, gatherings, etc.
- Build relationships with school administrators, Teachers, Parents, and Students
- Staying abreast on current events and policy decisions that affect campaign strategy
- Works with Development coordinator to manage list of monthly sustainers
- Help coordinate member participation in funder relationship activities
- Provide input on relevant grant proposals and reports
Desirable Skills & Qualifications
- Strong Commitment to social justice;
- 2-4 year’s experience in grassroots organizing, social justice issues, human rights, or structural racism;
- Strong analytical skills, particularly in regards to socio-political, environmental, and economic contexts;
- Strong communication, negotiation, and diplomacy skills;
- Must be able to articulate messages around social justice policy, human rights, needs, etc for campaigns;
- Enjoys and excels at networking;
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including motivation, strategic direction, conflict resolution;
- Willingness to work irregular hours and to travel;
- Strong project management skills;
- Excellent outreach and networking skills;
- Experience working with students and youth;
- Ability to identify and develop leadership among members;
- Experience with coaching and mentorship;
- Knowledge of school to prison pipeline issues and reproductive justice issues;
- Strong writing and analytical skills;
- Bi-lingual in Spanish or Haitian Kreyol a plus.
**Salary Based on Experience and Qualifications**
People of color, LGBTQ+, women and young people are highly encouraged to apply.